Sunday, July 29, 2007

I am back from an uber-relaxing week in the highlands of the Czech Republic. I spent the time at my extended family's cottage relaxing, sunbathing, eating, drinking, walking, bonding with cousins, brushing up on my Czech (I can now say "delicious!" and "I'm full!" - both very useful in my family), and enjoying myself immensely. There is not much to the tiny town of Odranec other than tasty fresh veggies and rolling hills, but I couldn't have wanted anything more. And apparently I was the talk of the town - Silva contends that I may very well be the first American to ever visit the village, and the townsfolk were quite curious about me. The neighbors told Beata that they wanted to say something to me, but they were scared. And as Silva and I rode through the town on bikes, a couple asked Silva, "Is that the American?" That's good stuff. But the best part, as usual, was getting to know my extended family better and catching up on the goings-on. It always amazes me how deeply you can love people who you barely know, all because they're family. But enough gushing, time for pictures. First, the cottage in Odranec:

The courtyard inside had plenty of room for sunbathing, reading, or lounging near all that chopped wood!
Right down the road, we picked cherries off the tree. I ate so much that I got a little sick, but I couldn't help myself. I felt the sick coming, but I kept on eating.

Bea and I took a walk to watch the sun set over the hills.

Speaking of hills, check out this idyllic landscape:


In addition to picking cherries for the first time, I also learned all about picking potatoes....

....and picking mushrooms! I trekked through the woods with my cousin, Silva, and two of her childhood friends, Lenka and Katka, searching for edible wild mushrooms. We didn't find very many, but we managed to come out with a few of them. It was great walking around in the forrest, but I realized very quickly that I couldn't last a day in the woods if I was stranded. Stick me out in the ocean for a few weeks with nothing but a piece of driftwood and I might get by, but I'd be dead after 2 hours in the woods, no doubt. Here are Lenka and Katka on the way to pick mushrooms:
Silva shows off a good looking mushroom.
And although we had planned a "sport week" at the cottage, we mostly lazed and went to the pub. We did cycle 20 km one day, but by the end we were just cycling from pub to pub, and I'm not sure if that actually counts for anything. The gals at the hospoda in Kukla:
(This is a picture from one of our "pit stops" during our cycling trip.)

We really get along so well, it's a shame that we see each other for 3 days every two years. It's just not enough!

I'm already dreaming about going back for another visit. (Cue cheesy music, roll credits.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i was waiting for this post... it's a great one. where the hell is Honza? oh yeah... he's got the memory of a gnat.