Wednesday, May 16, 2007

When I was living in Austin, I used to wash my clothes at the Washeteria laundromat. It was a fun place to be - pinball machines, ice-cream out of a vending machine, and a fantastic crowd when they aired American Idol - but I always thought it would be even better if there was a bar attached to the laundromat (Maria and Matt can attest to this). So imagine my delight when a group of German students asked us to join them for a beer and took us to THE LAUNDROMAT! "Wash - Lounge - Salon" is what they advertised, and there were indeed people enjoying a beer while washing their clothes. Genius!


Here are Sara and Nico enjoying their beer under the protection of Jesus (this is also at the Laundromat). In fact, there were many religious paintings on the wall, and I said to Andrea, "The only thing that's better than a laundromat with a bar inside is a laundromat with a bar inside and a picture of Jesus and Mary Magdalene on the wall." To which Andrea brilliantly replied, "The only thing better than a laundromat with a bar inside and a picture of Jesus and Mary Magdalene on the wall is a laundromat with a bar inside and a picture of Dolly Parton on the wall." Well said, Andrea. Well said.


And here are a few pictures of my (very small) room in the International Students dorm. I have a kitchen, a desk, a (very small) bed, and a bathroom. Just enough for the summer!




4 comments:

Maria said...

What a sweet laundromat. Which reminds me you promised earlier to give us a list of German things/ideas that should be brought to America and vice versa. Coming soon??

Katie said...

Wow. When you said it was small, I was not thinking quite so small! It’s like they added a kitchen and bathroom to half of a normal-size dorm room! But it’s nice that you have it to yourself. And you probably won’t lose anything.
And also, how cool - a bar that smells like clean laundry! Can I just say - that in this town, not only do we not have Laundromats with bars attached, or fun vending machines or video games, we don’t even have very many Laundromats . . . indeed, if I needed one, I am not sure where I would find one . . . I think I would have to take a long car ride.
Glad to see you are doing well and adjusting. Send me your address so I can send you a postcard!

Unknown said...

Beer? Laundry? Potential hot chicks? I need to start a bar like this yesterday. ;) Love the blog!

sam said...

my sister always said she was gonna open something like this in new york...we should definitely open one with a dolly theme in brooklyn...in a very gay neighborhood in brooklyn....